Inspired by the rescue of two starved horses abandoned in November 2004, a group of Eagle Valley horse enthusiasts recognized the need for a regional rescue organization. To fulfill that need Mountain Valley Horse Rescue (MVHR) was formed in April 2005. MVHR is dedicated to the rescue and rehabilitation of abused and neglected horses. We are committed to reducing the number of cases involving horse abuse through community outreach and educational programs.
MVHR works closely with local law enforcement agencies, veterinarians, concerned citizens
and private horse owners to assist unwanted horses in the central mountain area
and throughout the state of Colorado. When possible, MVHR networks to find horses new private homes. When necessary, horses are taken in and cared for by MVHR with the ultimate goal being a return to full health and adoption into loving, forever homes. To meet this goal, each horse is provided with food, shelter, care, medical treatment, and training to help them become adoptable. As space and funding allow, a limited number of horses are provided sanctuary care at the facility for the rest of their lives.
MVHR relies on volunteers, foster homes, donations and sponsorships to provide for these horses. We welcome the addition of your talents to our organization, regardless of your
MVHR hopes to one day own its own facility designed for the special needs of these magnificent creatures. The Forty Acre Fund was established to help us achieve this goal and donations are welcome at any time. Naming and recognition opportunities are also
Mountain Valley Horse Rescue
There are a variety of ways to help horses in need and the Mountain Valley Horse Rescue.
• Donate. We appreciate donations of any size. Donations can be made through mvhr.net or by mail.
• Volunteer. MVHR has a very active volunteer program which includes helping coordinate and work special events as well as providing assistance at the MVHR facility feeding, cleaning and grooming.
• Sponsor. You can sponsor a horse for a month, season or year(s) by contributing funds for their care.
• Foster. Have space in your yard and space in your heart? Foster a horse in need of recovery.
• Adopt. Are you ready for a forever friend and companion? Horses are available for
adoption after a review and minimal adoption fee.
CLICK HERE TO DONATE